Hahahhahahaha. That's from one of my favorite someecards (see Andrea's blog for more information on the site). So I haven't written anything on my blog in exactly a month - whew it's been a busy one. The past month has been filled with a lot of time at work, lots of field trips, more work, Estuaries Day, work, more field trips, work, more teaching, more work and a visit home. Did I mention I worked a lot?!? :)
Estu
aries Day was a bust! It's one of our biggest events of the year, every year I try really hard to advertise and get volunteers, and make t-shirts, etc but it's ju
st not worth it. So this year, I didn't really do that much and it was about the same as before. So at least I didn't waste time, right? One cool thing that happened that day was that one of the people attending the event brought some milkweed leaves from their yard that had Monarch Butterfly chysallises (spelling?) on them. So we kept them on display waiting to see if one of the butterflies would come out, and it did! It was really awesome to see.
aries Day was a bust! It's one of our biggest events of the year, every year I try really hard to advertise and get volunteers, and make t-shirts, etc but it's ju
st not worth it. So this year, I didn't really do that much and it was about the same as before. So at least I didn't waste time, right? One cool thing that happened that day was that one of the people attending the event brought some milkweed leaves from their yard that had Monarch Butterfly chysallises (spelling?) on them. So we kept them on display waiting to see if one of the butterflies would come out, and it did! It was really awesome to see.The weekend after Estuaries Day I was able to go home (and take off a few days, yay!) for my mom and jimmy's birthdays.
It was great to go home and visit my parents and grandparents. Friday, I went with my mom to her golf practice. She's amazing, everything that's going on and then on top of that coaching the golf team too! The girls on her team though reminded me how old I'm getting. They aren't graduating until 2010...ten YEARS younger than me! Saturday, my mom, grandmother and I went to my dad's new gallery show
for the woodcarvings he's done. They were great! The fish on the right belongs to Jimmy, but the one with the dark wood and light colored fish is the one that I definitely would love to have someday, hint hint Dad! It didn't come out that clear in the pictures but it was awesome. Another really great piece is the giant bird that my Dad worked on with some of the other carvers. It's huge! The show was really great.
Here are some more pictures. If you're interested in supporting my dad's carving, vote for him in the santa contest here 


http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/phpQ/fillsurvey.php?sid=10 - his are number 23-26! You have to vote by October 19th!
After going to visit the show, my mom and I did some shopping and then went out to dinner with the fam for her birthday. Sunday we went to church and breakfast and hung out at the house planning some things for our big trip to CA which is at the end of this month! I can't wait. :)
Oh! And my picture was chosen for the cover of the VIMS course catalog this year! Not my personal picture, but a picture that I took. So that's exciting. :) Check it out - http://www.vims.edu/sms/catalog/catalog0809/catalog_2008to2009.pdf. Even got a credit on the second page. Those are some kids from the Governor's School seining at sunset on one of our reserve sites, Goodwin Islands.
This week has been super crazy - teaching every day and getting up at the crack of dawn, but it's over now and it's the weekend so I can relax. :) And tomorrow is ferry ride and pumpkins - so check out the blog later this weekend for that.
5 comments:
first, i'm glad you had such a good time at home :) second, i know you told me that bird carving was giant, but that bird carving is GIANT.
Okay that's a huge bird. Your dad is awesome.
You didn't tell me about the course catalog! That's too cool! That would make me want to attend VIMS :D
And sorry work has been crazy - I do realize it's all my fault. Well, let's say that it's all Ellie's fault, actually. Because she's too cute to hate on.
i think we could blame it on rob for knocking jes up. :) just kidding.
glad to see you finally surface in the midst of all of the crazy!! one day it will get better :)
I love the picture on the cover of the catalog. Keep it up.
I can't believe it's time to vote for your dad's santa again! I'm on it!
Post a Comment