For the Mad Lab Returns discovery lab, the theme was Deep Sea and Bioluminescence. I found this awesome fish mask of an anglerfish online and wanted to try it...despite my lack of experience with paper mache. I brought the project to the attention of my ever understanding roommate and the crafting began. Not only did we decide to make the mask, but we made tubeworms out of foam and PVC, we made glow in the dark lanternfish for the "bottom of the ocean" or "dark place" in the lab, and we made anglerfish headbands that the kids could make there at the lab. So basically, our apartment over the weekend was craft central and it was pretty much a mess and non stop the whole time.
Here's a step by step of what we did with the mask and I'll write more later on the other fun things at the lab:
Step 1 - Blow up a balloon bigger than your head. Sit the balloon in a bowl and start paper macheing. We used the 2 cups water to 1 1/2 cup flour mixture (with a little salt to prevent mold) and away we went.
Some of us stayed clean...while others did not. The balloon then had to dry for about 2 full days (yes in the middle of our living room on a huge green tarp. did i mention that amber is very understanding of these education projects?).
Step 2 - Pop the balloon.
Step 3 - Check to see if my big head could fit in there. Carve the bottom bigger so that it can.
Step 3 - Paint the balloon first a coat of black and then a coat of silver. Cut a mouth out.
Step 4 - Add LED stick on press lights for $1 each at dollar tree for eyes.
Step 5 - Add poster board cut teeth to make it scary.
Step 6 - Cut holes for gills b/c it is very claustrophobic in there. Add on pectoral, dorsal, and caudal fins. It would be best to do this with paper mache and paint over that too, but we didn't have time for that so we used duct tape.
Step 7 - Add LED flashlight as lure. We used another creative concept of a green aquarium net with the net part cut off and then the flashlight was pipe cleanered onto the net handle and then the handle was attached through the mask into the inside.
Step 9 - Combine with fun halloween socks to wear to the lab!

We had so much fun with this project! And now I can wear it in the Paper Parade here at VIMS on Marine Science Day.

We had so much fun with this project! And now I can wear it in the Paper Parade here at VIMS on Marine Science Day.











5 comments:
OH MY GOSH, Sarah that is the most amazing thing I've ever seen! I wish I was there, or that I could have taken credit for helping you!!! :) You guys are creative geniuses!!!
- Jes
you're so cool.
and amber too.
great job!
haha i wonder if anyone else noticed the nervousness i was feeling in the picture where i'm about to pop the balloon and potentially ruin 2 days worth of work! so much fun and awesome outcome. i think we're paper mache masters now ;)
Wow. Spectacular. I don't know really know what else to say. You're amazing!
Its awesome and educational :) Cheers to you guys!
Post a Comment