I'm so behind in my blogging - so expect quite a few in a short period of time.
So the Chesapeake Bay Investigators camp (CBI for short - and yes we had fun shirts to look like FBI shirts) was our third camp for the summer. This one was for rising 7th and 8th grade students and it was so very different than the first two. It was almost like we were on a mini vacation because these kids could somewhat take care of themselves and didn't need constant watching. BUT, I definitely missed the cute little ones.
The plan for the week was for the kids to see as many different habitats around the Chesapeake Bay as possible.
Day one we spent on the Dragon Run, a pristine river in Virginia, where we went electroshocking with some of the VIMSers. The kids loved it (and only one got shocked - midly, he was ok).



Day two we went to York River State Park for some canoeing and marsh mucking through the salt marsh.
Day three was spent at VIMS, looking at the shallow water habitats and the oyster reef habitats.
Day four was the big field trip day to Goodwin Island, where we went trawling, explored the island, ate some crabs, etc. Had one incident that day - a kid chipped his tooth on the boat. :(




All in all, a great camp and great campers! Looking forward to the last two.
4 comments:
seahorse is my favorite :)
Sarah, your job is so amazing. I miss the days of being outside with the kids. Hmmmmmm....
Okay
#1 - I know you thought of me when you saw that stinkpot. And not because I stink.
#2 - You ate crabs? What's up with that??? we need details.
#3 - That seahors is ALMOST as large as the one I caught that year when you were on Vaca. ALMOST. :)
#1-hahaha
#2-I didn't but the kids did. I'm not a fan of breaking apart crabs and sucking out the meat from them. But we set crab pots the day before and then picked them up and Willy cooked them out on Goodwin.
#3-Yeah apparently when I go on vacation is when cool things with seahorses happen - I missed seahorses being born this year. :(
Post a Comment