Tuesday, September 2, 2008

TerraPass and a haircut

I got a TerraPass for my birthday from my lovely roommate, Amber. Very exciting stuff, and I've wanted to write about it for a while but just haven't gotten around to it b/c of all the other exciting things going on. Sarah introduced me to TerraPass back in the spring when she told me that Ben had gotten her one for Christmas or some occassion. I was intrigued, told Amber about it, and then got one for my birthday!


TerraPass is a way to balance your carbon footprint from driving, plane rides, your home energy use, or even your wedding. Basically that means that you calculate how much your carbon output is from one of these activities, and then purchase carbon "offsets" which are certificates that represent the reduction of one ton of carbon dioxide emissions. When you buy a carbon offset, the money goes towards several projects that TerraPass funds, such as wind power projects, landfill gas capture projects, and farm power which makes use of animal wastes. You can find out more about the projects at http://www.terrapass.com/projects/. The pass that I have is for my car. So even though I can't walk or bike to work, I can offset the amount of carbon that I put into the environment through my donation towards green energy projects. Amber calculate how much I drive in 6 months, and purchase a pass for that amount. It's great! I would definitely suggest it and hope to continue to use a TerraPass in the future!


In other news, I got a haircut today. Thought I'd share the new look with you. I really like it. Just wanted a change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aww yay my birthday present made it on to your blog! and i really love the hair cut :)