Monday, April 13, 2009

Texas - Day 4 and 5



The fourth day of the conference (whew last full day!) was a trip to the Fennessy Ranch, one of the lands that the reserve manages and uses for education purposes. We had a hayride around the ranch which was pretty fun. Can't remember the last time I was on a hayride. Our first stop was one of the oil drilling operations on the ranch. Fennessy gets some of its income from natural gas and oil drilling.




















Another stop along the way was near the end of the trip when we saw an armadillo! My first one in the wild! The picture didn't turn out that great but at least we saw one (there's one in the below picture near the tree in the middle of the photo). And a snake. Some of the "non-birders" of the group needed to see some other wildlife other than just birds. So we were all happy.
















After a field trip to Fennessy, we went back to the hotel for our afternoon meetings which included a field trip to the beach to learn some new activities. The discussion got pretty heated in our last session, but the meeting ended well I guess. I think everyone was glad to be done.

We ended the day with a sunset cruise around the Bay to see the lighthouse and eat some dinner. Saw lots of dolphins swimming in front of a big ship and hung out on the boat.






Our last day we had to have morning wrap up meetings, meet with the CTP coordinators, and then we packed up and left for the airport. Leaving the reserve at 11:30am, and traveled ALLLLL day, four airports later, arrived in Newport News at 11:30pm. Long day of traveling but so excited to be home.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a) The picture of you under the arch is great. Hands on hips, foot cocked up. I'm sure right after this you tossed a hand in the air and gave a "Yippee!" or "Yeehaw!"
b) I'm glad I got the warning about the snake before the picture and couldn't really see him.
c) Looks like you had a great time!