Thursday, August 21, 2008

Flowers Always Make It Better

I had a lovely afternoon today after work. I went grocery shopping to try out some new recipes, then I came back to New Town and walked around the Farmer's Market that New Town has every Thursday in the summer. I got to visit with a colleague who was selling some stuff there, discuss herbs and flowers with two other vendors, and pick up some fun stuff as well. It was very relaxing. And I picked up some new flowers too. I got some dahlias (Andrea's favorite on the right) because they were just so beautiful...and also one other flower for my bathroom that is awesome. It's a Polianthes tuberosa which when I smelled it, immediately reminded of something but I couldn't quite place it. Until the woman told me that they are common in Hawaii and usually used in leis. So yeah, brought me back to my family's trip there in '99. And it smells sooooo good. :) The flower woman also gave me some great tips for keeping cut flowers, all from this video, so check it out http://http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=fttLKJSX0uA . But basically she said you need a little chlorox, a little sugar, and a little lemon juice in with your plants to make them last longer. :)



I also tried out two new recipes tonight too if you're interested. The salad dressing was really good but the popsicles aren't frozen yet so I can't give them a review just yet.



Recipes:
Red Pepper Viniagrette
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cubed
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tbsp honey
1 pinch salt
1 pinch black pepper
Place into blender. Puree until smooth.



Chocolate Popsicles
2 tbsp flour
2/3 cup sugar
3 3/4 tbsp cocoa
1 dash salt
2 cups milk
12 oz. can evaporated milk
Mix. Cook until thick. Remove from heat. Stir in evaporated milk. Pour into popsicle molds.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! Some dahlias made it into Martha Stewart Living this month too :) And the others are nice with the smell too! Looks like you had a good evening.

Anonymous said...

those flowers are super awesome! can't wait to see them and hopefully meet this new flower lady at the farmer's market next week! :)

Sarah said...

Let us know about the popsicles, they sound so yummy!

CBNERRVA said...

The popsicles were GREAT, for anyone wondering. A little hard to get out of the popsicle mold but very tasty. We'll be making more. :)